Birmingham is the second-largest city in England and located in the West Midlands region. Although it has multiple Industrial Revolution-era landmarks that speak to its 18th-century history as a manufacturing powerhouse. It’s also home to a network of canals. However, nowadays, people travel to Birmingham in different ways.
1) BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT
Birmingham Airport is an international airport flying to numerous destinations. It is located on the outskirts and serves the whole of the midlands, international.
2) BIRMINGHAM GRAND CENTRAL/ NEW STREET STATION
Grand Central is a shopping centre located above New Street railway station. Although the station has been around for a while, it has recently been revamped.
3) BIRMINGHAM COACH STATION
Birmingham Coach Station is a major coach interchange in Digbeth
4) CURZON STREET RAILWAY STATION
Birmingham Curzon Street railway station is the planned High Speed 2 terminus station in the city centre of Birmingham. It was once a former railway station.
5) MOOR ST STATION
Birmingham Moor Street is one of three main railway stations in the city centre of Birmingham, England.
Have I missed a couple, message below what you think?
New here? Join others and subscribe to the Archtrove blog via or Bloglovin’.
Grand Central Station, is a train station and shopping centre located in Birmingham. It opened in 2015 as a much-needed redevelopment of the previously dilapidated train station. The original centre was built in 1971 and known as The Pallasades. The centre has been redesigned with a glass atrium roof as the centrepiece and is home to numerous shops and restaurants, with the main store being John Lewis.
What Need to Know About ….. Grand Central Central, Birmingham
- By reshaping Birmingham’s existing 1960s station, it increased its capacity to 52 million passengers per year.
- The undulating stainless-steel cladding added around the old station is based on the distorted shapes seen from moving trains.
- Warped reflections of the train tracks and surrounding plaza are created by building’s curving form and reflective cladding.
- Large “eye-shaped” screens have been integrated into the facade to mark the four main entrances.
- Inside, the station is split over two levels, with the station on the ground floor and retail on both. The lower floor
- The new vaulted roof sits on the columns of the original station building to enclose a public concourse and two tiers of shopping, including an AZPML-designed John Lewis department store with a glazed facade.
Location of Grand Central Station
Grand Central is located in the heart of Birmingham city centre directly above Birmingham New Street Station. If travelling by Car on the M6, take exit at Junction 6 and then follow the A38 into Birmingham City Centre, you will see signs for Grand Central.
Purpose of Grand Central Station
Located in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, making it place to not only eat, drink, travel and shop but a common meeting place.
Gallery for Grand Central Station
Blog Posts of Grand Central Station
Top 10 Places to Eat and Drink in GCS
Top 10 Shops to Shop at in GCS
To find out more about Grand Central Station go on there website, click here.